The University of Sports
UCAM, the Catholic University San Antonio in Murcia promotes sports and physical activity since its foundation. From the Sports Activities Service we provide to our students the opportunity to practice their sport or modality at all levels, we organize internal Championships (Opening Trophy and President Trophy), to the sponsorship of professional teams and to the participation in the Spanish University Competition.
From 2003-2004, UCAM has occupied podium positions in the Spanish University Competition being hailed Champion in 2003-2004 and last years, 2011-2012 with 46 medals and 2012-13 with 76 medals (50 golds) beating all the medals records. There are more than 2000 athletes competing for UCAM.
At the university level, UCAM competes in the following sports:
Much of UCAM’s success is due to our commitment with innovation and reinforced by the fact that we are pioneers in Spain in the implementation of a study system that make possible for high-level athletes to conciliate sports activities with academic formation. With more than 24 Olympic and Paralympic athletes in Athens, Beijing and London, UCAM’s sports system is determinant to world-class sportsman to chosen this university to complete their training. The medalists Mireia Belmonte (swimming) and David Cal (canoeing) give UCAM 7 Olympic medals.
UCAM not only promotes the practice of sports but also maintains a policy of sponsorship and co-direction of sports clubs in the Region of Murcia, increasing its scope with the main sponsorship of a basketball professional team, UCAM Murcia CB who competes in the ACB League and UCAM Murcia Football Club, which debuted this season in the Second Division B.
UCAM sponsors and co-directs the following clubs:
- UCAM Murcia CB – Professional Basketball. ACB/Endesa League
- UCAM Murcia CF – Senior Football. Division 2B
- UCAM Cartagena Table Tennis – National Champion in Feminine teams,
- UCAM Voley Murcia – Volleyball. Super League Final 4 in 2011-2012
- UCAM FLOYMAPE Cartagena Table Tennis
- UCAM Murcia Feminine Futsal
- UCAM Athleo Cieza – Athletics
- UCAM Balonmano Murcia – Handball
- UCAM Begastri – Basketball. EBA League
- UCAM Rugby Murcia
- UCAM A. D. Guadalupe – Formation Football
- UCAM Ciudad Jardín – Formation Football
- UCAM Atletismo Cartagena – Athletics
- UCAM Club de Tenis Molina – Table Tennis
- UCAM Cartagena Tenis de Mesa – Table Tennis for mental handicapped athletes
- UCAM PrimiSports – For handicapped athletes
- UCAM Club Natación Fuensanta – Swimming
- UCAM Jairis Alcantarilla – Basketball
- UCAM Club Voleibol Sant Joan – Volleyball
- UCAM Club Balonmano Sant Joan – Handball
- UCAM Grupo Club Deportivo Sant Joan – Formation Football
The Sports Activities Service of UCAM is located on the premises of our fitness center: UCAM Sports Center, just a few meters away from the university. This gym offers both students and workers of UCAM and the rest of the region population, the possibility of getting in shape with a wide range of activities and specialized instructors in Sport and Physical Activity.
All our projects, together with our UCAM Olympic Studies Centre and our series of conferences and research programs in the field, make UCAM be considered as “The University of Sport”. This recognition had its confirmation with the Joaquín Blume Trophy, given by the Spanish National Sports Council to UCAM and to other personalities such as Vicente del Bosque, Di Estefano and Cristiano Ronaldo.